We all have bad habits. We procrastinate, or chew with our mouths open, or interrupt people. We all have some things that we do that we just can’t seem to shake; that’s the definition of a habit. So what if we could make our habits work for us? Think about how powerful it would be to have good habits that we don’t even have to think about. I’ve been searching long and hard to find the secret for creating habits that stick, and here’s what I’ve come up with so far:
First, understand that creating habits is nothing more than creating a new normal for yourself. Once it becomes a habit, it becomes normal in our life. Trade in your current normal for a new normal and you’ve created a habit.
- Commit to 30 days for each new habit.
- Make it every day.
- Start small and simple.
- Be very specific.
- Thank yourself every day that you follow through.
- Notice when you don’t follow through and adjust accordingly.
- Make the change easier by removing obstacles.
- Enjoy the change you’re making.
- Once you have a new habit, change your life again.
What do you do to make a new habit? What’s worked for you and what hasn’t? How do you keep yourself motivated to change more things in your life?
Photo Credit: trainingforwarriors.com